Friday, July 27, 2012

Closing Duet from the opera "And the Winner Is. ."


            As Bobbie’s disability becomes more and more obvious, the two sit down and Tony confesses that he has not always been honest with Bobbie. He reveals that his name has not always been “Tony.” “Antonia?” Bobbie responds. “Yes, Bobbie, Antonia.” The two then see the possibility of a life together.

CLOSING DUET

REFRAIN (BOBBIE & TONY)
I have a dream. The dream of a lifetime
and that dream of a lifetime is mine.

TONY
O Bobbie, I love you.
Our hearts will entwine.

BOBBIE
Thanks to our surgeons, you now can me mine.

TONY
No longer in hiding,
our lives as transgender;

BOBBIE
Who could ever have guessed
our hearts were so tender?
Tossing small minds’ expectations
into a Kitchen-Aid Blender.

REFRAIN

TONY
Can you forgive me my flirting,
my behavior so rude?

                        BOBBIE
My fuss about nicknames,
I'm shocked at how crude.
All that talk about "Oscar"
and the size of my bust. . .

TONY
All is forgiven!
It was mutual lust.

REFRAIN

BOBBIE
O Tony, I love you.
Our love will entwine.

TONY
And after that special dinner
and several glasses of wine. .

BOBBIE
Well-bodied and lame,
full-bodiced and plain.
We're not who we were -
and at last with no shame.

TONY
Oh, Bobbie!

BOBBIE
Oh, Tony! You are my hero.

TONY
You are my heroine.

BOBBIE
Your struggles so human.

TONY
Your courage divine. . .
I'm dying to hold you
and call you my own.

BOBBIE
So what's keeping you, Tony?
Don't mind the frills on my gown!

REFRAIN


No comments: