Saturday, December 06, 2008

Forgiveness – from Matters of Life and Death

.

From the play, "Matters of Life and Death," by Thomas B. Woodward.


Susan has come into a tobacco shop out of desperation – to talk with someone acquainted with death. After a good bit of banter with Harry, the shopkeeper, she decides to share her secret with him. Later in the play there is a suggestion that Harry may or may not be God.

Susan whispers her secret in Harry's ear. Harry listens thoughtfully, then looks directly at Susan:



HARRY

You're right. That's bad. In fact, that's really bad; but look, I'll forgive you for $100.


SUSAN

You will forgive me for $100? Are you making fun of me?


HARRY

Am I making fun of you? No, I'm not making fun of you. I said I would forgive you for $100 and I will. And if that is making fun of you, OK. I'll forgive you for $500.


SUSAN

You will forgive me for $500?


HARRY

Do you want to hear me say it again?


SUSAN

O God, No. I just don't understand.


HARRY

It's simple: I've got what you need - and you've got . . .


SUSAN

$500.


HARRY

The amount is not so important.


SUSAN

But you just. . . .


HARRY

I said, "The amount is not important."



SUSAN

Then what is important?


HARRY

That you know it doesn't come easy - that it's worth something.


Long pause while SUSAN makes several attempts to pull something out of her purse.

SUSAN
Here's the $500 . . . but what difference does it make if you forgive me!


HARRY

Well, who else is there?


SUSAN

The people I hurt.


HARRY

Sorry. If they forgive you - that's for them. . . not you. If they forgive you, that allows them to go one with their lives. It really has nothing to do with you.


SUSAN

Can you say that again?


HARRY

Honey, I'm not sure I said anything that smart the first time.


SUSAN

Are you saying that if they forgive me - that lets them go on with their lives? But it doesn't do anything for me?


HARRY

Right.


SUSAN

But that doesn't seem fair.


HARRY

That doesn't seem fair?


SUSAN

No. It's not fair.


HARRY

What's not fair about it?


SUSAN

Well, for one thing, they are forgiving ME . . .but I don't get anything out of it! I'm not part of it!


HARRY

Exactly!


SUSAN

I don't get it.


HARRY

Exactly! You don't get it. They can't give it to you.


SUSAN

So I'm stuck.


HARRY

You're not stuck, you're. . . .No, I take that back. You're stuck. . . But maybe there is something that can loosen that up a bit. . .

No comments: